وصفات جديدة

بلاك ريفر بيرل

بلاك ريفر بيرل



We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.

  1. الصفحة الرئيسية
  2. يشرب
  3. الكوكتيلات والمشروبات الروحية

4.5

2 تقييمات

14 فبراير 2017

بواسطة

موظفو الوجبة اليومية

هذا الإراقة مثير للشهوة الجنسية مثالي لعيد الحب

الصورة والوصفة بإذن من D’USSÉ.

1

حصص

199

السعرات الحرارية لكل وجبة

مكونات

  • 1 1/3 أجزاء D’USSÉ VSOP Cognac
  • 1/2 جزء ليكيور البينديكتين
  • 1/2 جزء من نبيذ البرقوق الياباني (أوميشو)
  • 2 رشقات من الجريب فروت المر
  • 1 داش مرارة الشوكولاتة

الاتجاهات

امزج جميع المكونات مع التقليب برفق.

تصب في كأس الخزامى.

للتزيين ، أضيفي الزهور الصغيرة.

حقائق غذائية

الحصص 1

السعرات الحرارية لكل حصة 199

السكر 11 جرام

الكربوهيدرات 14 جم 5٪

الكالسيوم 6 ملغ 1٪

حمض الفوليك (طعام) 0.7 ميكروغرام N / A

ما يعادل الفولات (إجمالي) 0.7 ميكروغرام 0.2٪

حديد 0.3 ملغ 1.7٪

المغنيسيوم 9 ملغ 2٪

نياسين (ب 3) 0.2 ملغ 0.8٪

الفوسفور 17 ملغ 2٪

بوتاسيوم 81 ملغ 2٪

الصوديوم 6 ملغ N / A

زنك 0.1 ملغ 0.8٪

هل لديك سؤال حول بيانات التغذية؟ دعنا نعرف.

العلامات


النهر الاسود

لعب النهر الأسود دورًا مهمًا ولكنه متغير في حياة سكان شمال شرق أركنساس. بالنسبة للأميركيين الأصليين الذين عاشوا في المنطقة ، كانت مصدرًا أساسيًا للطعام والمواصلات. ظل هذا صحيحًا بالنسبة للمستوطنين الأوروبيين في الأيام التي سبقت الطرق والسكك الحديدية. كان النهر أيضًا "طريقًا سريعًا" أساسيًا للقوارب المسطحة والبواخر النهرية التي تنقل الأشخاص والبضائع من وإلى المنطقة. دعم النهر تطوير الصناعة المحلية كوسيلة لنقل الأخشاب من الغابات إلى أماكن مثل مطحنة Sallee Brothers Hand Mill في بوكاهونتاس (مقاطعة راندولف) ، بينما زود صيد بلح البحر باللآلئ وصدف اللؤلؤ لصناعة الأزرار المحلية. سنوات عدة. في حين أن النهر لم يعد يعمل كوسيلة للنقل ، إلا أنه لا يزال موقعًا ترفيهيًا مهمًا للصيد وصيد الأسماك والمشي لمسافات طويلة ومشاهدة الطيور وركوب القوارب والمزيد. صرح محامي Batesville (مقاطعة الاستقلال) والكاتب "Fent" Noland في عام 1839 ، "من المقرر أن يكون البلد أعلى النهر الأبيض والأسود هو الأفضل في أركنساس. لقد فعلت الطبيعة كل ما في وسعها - سيقوم الإنسان بالباقي ".

يقع منبع النهر الأسود في جنوب شرق ولاية ميسوري. يتكون من ثلاثة أنهار ، ويتدفق جنوبًا ، ويعبر حدود أركنساس في مقاطعة كلاي شمال شرق كورنينغ. من هناك ، يتدفق بشكل عام إلى الجنوب الغربي ويمر عبر منطقة Dave Donaldson Black River Wildlife Management Area (WMA) ، عبر مقاطعة Randolph إلى Pocahontas ، وصولاً إلى Davidsonville Historic State Park. يعبر إلى مقاطعة لورانس فوق بلدة بلاك روك مباشرة ويستمر في الجنوب الغربي إلى مجتمع بوهاتان (مقاطعة لورانس). من هناك ، يتدفق جنوبًا عبر Shirey Bay - Rainey Brake WMA ، ويعبر الحدود الجنوبية لمقاطعة لورانس ، ويشكل الحدود الشرقية الغربية بين مقاطعتي إندبندنس وجاكسون. يتحول أخيرًا إلى الجنوب الشرقي ويدخل وايت ريفر في جاكسونبورت (مقاطعة جاكسون) ، شمال نيوبورت (مقاطعة جاكسون). روافد أركنساس هي أنهار ليتل بلاك ، ونهر الربيع ، والفراولة ، ومع ارتباطها بالنهر الأبيض ، فهي جزء من مستجمعات المياه في نهر المسيسيبي. يحتوي Black على العديد من الانحناءات الحادة ، والعديد منها يحمل أسماء ملونة ، مثل Deadman and Hole in the Wall في منطقة Davidsonville Historic State Park ، إلى جانب انحناءات Box Factory و Battle Axe و Dead Mule في مجرى النهر السفلي.

يوفر النهر و WMAs التي يتدفق من خلالها فرصًا وفيرة للصيادين والصيادين والمتنزهين ومراقبي الحياة البرية. الأنواع الرئيسية من الأسماك داخلها هي ارجموث باس ، والكرابي ، وسمك السلور. يحظى صيد البط والسنجاب والغزلان والأرانب والديك الرومي بشعبية على طول مساره ، ويوفر كل من Donaldson و Shirey Bay WMAs مستودعات خضراء رائعة للأشجار (بركة بطة الغابة). هناك أيضًا مجموعة من المزارعين مثل القندس والمسك والمنك والراكون. العديد من النسور الصلعاء والذهبية الشتاء حول بحيرة أشبو في دونالدسون WMA ويمكن رؤيتها في البحيرة أو حولها من نوفمبر حتى فبراير.

تتمتع The Black والمنطقة المحيطة بها بتاريخ رائع ، حيث سكنها في البداية بناة تلال ما قبل كولومبوس ، ثم أوساج وشيروكي. كان المستوطنون الأوروبيون الأوائل فرنسيين. في الأيام التي سبقت توغل السكك الحديدية في المنطقة ، كانت القوارب المسطحة والقوارب البخارية ضرورية لنقل الأشخاص والبضائع ، حيث كانت توفر وسيلة النقل الوحيدة "من المزرعة إلى السوق". كانت أول باخرة تصعد النهر الأسود إلى بوكاهونتاس هي لوريل في عام 1829. كانت كل من Davidsonville و Powhatan و Pocahontas و Jacksonport موانئ قوارب بخارية مهمة ، وبحلول نهاية القرن ، سافر حوالي 43 باخرة عبر النهر. واحد كان Idlewild، التي لا تزال في الخدمة في لويزفيل ، كنتاكي ، بعد إعادة بنائها وتسميتها باسم حسناء لويزفيل. وصل أول قطار إلى بوكاهونتاس في عام 1896 ، وحلت خطوط السكك الحديدية تدريجياً محل حركة المرور النهرية. ومع ذلك ، في أواخر العشرينيات من القرن الماضي ، كانت القوارب البخارية والقوارب المتعثرة (المستخدمة لإزالة حطام الأنهار) لا تزال تعمل.

في الأيام السابقة ، كان للنهر الأسود عدد كبير من بلح البحر النهري. في عام 1897 ، وجد الدكتور جي إتش مايرز كرة لؤلؤة كبيرة على بعد ميلين شمال بلاك روك. أدى ذلك إلى "اندفاع اللؤلؤ" ، وانتشرت المعسكرات على طول النهر. قدمت الصدفات أم اللؤلؤ ، وأنشأ مايرز ، مع آخرين ، مصنعًا للأزرار في بلاك روك بعد ثلاث سنوات. وفقًا لمايرز ، كان هذا أول مصنع للأزرار في الجنوب. متاحف المنطقة ، مثل متحف مقاطعة راندولف للتراث ، لديها أدوات لصنع الأزرار وأصداف تم قطع الأزرار منها. بلغ تصنيع زر اللؤلؤ ذروته في منتصف الأربعينيات. أدى الحصاد الجائر والطمي في النهر الناجم عن الزراعة والتجريف إلى انخفاض كبير في تجمعات بلح البحر. هذا ، جنبًا إلى جنب مع انخفاض الطلب على عرق اللؤلؤ بسبب اختراع الأزرار البلاستيكية والسحاب ، أنهى عمليًا صناعات اللؤلؤ والأزرار في منتصف القرن العشرين. ومع ذلك ، لا يزال عدد قليل من "المقشرات" يجمعون بلح البحر. قاموا بتقطيع الأصداف إلى كريات صغيرة من أم اللؤلؤ لتصديرها إلى آسيا ، لاستخدامها في صناعة اللؤلؤ المزروع.

كان النهر دائمًا عرضة للفيضانات ، وكان عبوره يمثل تحديًا في السنوات الماضية. لسنوات عديدة ، أُجبر الأشخاص الذين يسافرون لفترات الربيع للمحاكمة بين كورنينج وبيجوت ، مقعدي المقاطعة في مقاطعة كلاي ، على ركوب قطار إلى بوبلار بلاف بولاية ميسوري ، ثم ركوب قطار صباح اليوم التالي إلى قاعة المحكمة الأخرى. تم الاستشهاد بالفيضانات كأحد أسباب زوال ديفيدسونفيل وكانت مسؤولة جزئيًا عن إقبال خفيف للناخبين في المنطقة عندما هُزم دستور أركنساس المقترح لعام 1918 في صناديق الاقتراع. استمرت الفيضانات حتى يومنا هذا ، مع حدوث فيضانات شديدة في عامي 2008 و 2011.

في السنوات الأولى ، لم يكن لدى ولاية أركنساس أموال لبناء البنية التحتية ، لذلك منحت المقاطعات تراخيص لمشغلي العبارات وبناة الجسور ، الذين مولوا التحسينات بشكل خاص وفرضوا رسومًا. تم تشغيل أول جسر في بوهاتان ، وهو جسر متأرجح واهٍ. في عام 1938 ، اشترى الحاكم كارل بيلي ، الذي كرس لإزالة جميع جسور الرسوم في أركنساس ، حقوقًا لموقع عبّارة موجود أعلى النهر. ثم استخدمت الولاية إشارات الطرق السريعة لتحويل حركة المرور من الجسر. بسبب انخفاض عائدات الرسوم ، رفع المالك دعوى ، وفاز في المستوى التجريبي. أثناء نظر القضية في الاستئناف ، تم تسوية الطرفين ، ودفعت الدولة للمالك 68000 دولار مقابل الجسر ، والذي تم استبداله لاحقًا بهيكل آمن. اليوم ، هناك خمسة طرق سريعة وأربعة جسور للسكك الحديدية تعبر النهر. تم إدراج جسر النهر الأسود في بوكاهونتاس ، الذي تم بناؤه عام 1934 ، في السجل الوطني للأماكن التاريخية. في مايو 2015 ، تم افتتاح جسر جديد يمتد على النهر الأسود في بلاك روك ، ليحل محل هيكل عام 1949 ، والذي أعلن مسؤولي الطرق السريعة أنه ناقص في عام 2010.

يتم عرض العديد من القطع الأثرية والصور الفوتوغرافية والسجلات التاريخية التي تُظهر الصناعة والحياة على النهر في منتزه Davidsonville Historic State Park ، ومحكمة Powhatan ، ومتحف Jacksonport Courthouse ، ومتحف Randolph County Heritage Museum ، ومركز Eddie Mae Herron.

للحصول على معلومات إضافية:
دوغان ، مايكل ب. "عقيدة التدمير الإبداعي: ​​قانون العبّارة والجسر في أركنساس." أركنساس التاريخية الفصلية 39 (صيف 1980): 136-158.

مقاطعة لورانس ، أركنساس: 1815-2001. بادوكا ، كنتاكي: شركة تيرنر للنشر ، 2001.

ماكجينيس ، إيه سي "بدأ البحث عن اللؤلؤ في عام 1897." وقائع مقاطعة الاستقلال 9 (يوليو 1968): 25-29.

الغرب ، مابل. "جاكسونبورت ، أركنساس: صعودها وانحدارها." أركنساس التاريخية الفصلية 9 (شتاء 1950): 231-258.


النهر الاسود

لعب النهر الأسود دورًا مهمًا ولكنه متغير في حياة سكان شمال شرق أركنساس. بالنسبة للأميركيين الأصليين الذين عاشوا في المنطقة ، كانت مصدرًا أساسيًا للطعام والمواصلات. ظل هذا صحيحًا بالنسبة للمستوطنين الأوروبيين في الأيام التي سبقت الطرق والسكك الحديدية. كان النهر أيضًا "طريقًا سريعًا" أساسيًا للقوارب المسطحة والبواخر النهرية التي تنقل الأشخاص والبضائع من وإلى المنطقة. دعم النهر تطوير الصناعة المحلية كوسيلة لنقل الأخشاب من الغابات إلى أماكن مثل مطحنة Sallee Brothers Hand Mill في بوكاهونتاس (مقاطعة راندولف) ، بينما زود صيد بلح البحر باللآلئ وصدف اللؤلؤ لصناعة الأزرار المحلية. سنوات عدة. في حين أن النهر لم يعد يعمل كوسيلة للنقل ، إلا أنه لا يزال موقعًا ترفيهيًا مهمًا للصيد وصيد الأسماك والمشي لمسافات طويلة ومشاهدة الطيور وركوب القوارب والمزيد. صرح محامي Batesville (مقاطعة الاستقلال) والكاتب "Fent" Noland في عام 1839 ، "من المقرر أن يكون البلد أعلى النهر الأبيض والأسود هو الأفضل في أركنساس. لقد فعلت الطبيعة كل ما في وسعها - سيقوم الإنسان بالباقي ".

يقع منبع النهر الأسود في جنوب شرق ولاية ميسوري. يتكون من ثلاثة أنهار ، ويتدفق جنوبًا ، ويعبر حدود أركنساس في مقاطعة كلاي شمال شرق كورنينغ. من هناك ، يتدفق بشكل عام إلى الجنوب الغربي ويمر عبر منطقة Dave Donaldson Black River Wildlife Management Area (WMA) ، عبر مقاطعة Randolph إلى Pocahontas ، ونزولاً إلى Davidsonville Historic State Park. يعبر إلى مقاطعة لورانس فوق بلدة بلاك روك مباشرة ويستمر في الجنوب الغربي إلى مجتمع بوهاتان (مقاطعة لورانس). من هناك ، يتدفق جنوبًا عبر Shirey Bay - Rainey Brake WMA ، ويعبر الحدود الجنوبية لمقاطعة لورانس ، ويشكل الحدود الشرقية الغربية بين مقاطعتي إندبندنس وجاكسون. يتحول أخيرًا إلى الجنوب الشرقي ويدخل وايت ريفر في جاكسونبورت (مقاطعة جاكسون) ، شمال نيوبورت (مقاطعة جاكسون). روافد أركنساس هي أنهار ليتل بلاك ، ونهر الربيع ، والفراولة ، ومع ارتباطها بالنهر الأبيض ، فهي جزء من مستجمعات المياه في نهر المسيسيبي. يحتوي Black على العديد من الانحناءات الحادة ، والعديد منها يحمل أسماء ملونة ، مثل Deadman and Hole in the Wall في منطقة Davidsonville Historic State Park ، إلى جانب انحناءات Box Factory و Battle Axe و Dead Mule في مجرى النهر السفلي.

يوفر النهر و WMAs التي يتدفق من خلالها فرصًا وفيرة للصيادين والصيادين والمتنزهين ومراقبي الحياة البرية. الأنواع الرئيسية من الأسماك داخلها هي ارجموث باس ، والكرابي ، وسمك السلور. يحظى صيد البط والسنجاب والغزلان والأرانب والديك الرومي بشعبية على طول مساره ، ويوفر كل من Donaldson و Shirey Bay WMAs خزانًا جيدًا للأشجار الخضراء (بركة بطة الغابات). هناك أيضًا مجموعة من المزارعين مثل القندس والمسك والمنك والراكون. العديد من النسور الصلعاء والذهبية الشتاء حول بحيرة أشبو في دونالدسون WMA ويمكن رؤيتها في البحيرة أو حولها من نوفمبر حتى فبراير.

تتمتع The Black والمنطقة المحيطة بها بتاريخ رائع ، حيث سكنها في البداية بناة تلال ما قبل كولومبوس ، ثم أوساج وشيروكي. كان المستوطنون الأوروبيون الأوائل فرنسيين. في الأيام التي سبقت توغل السكك الحديدية في المنطقة ، كانت القوارب المسطحة والقوارب البخارية ضرورية لنقل الأشخاص والبضائع ، حيث كانت توفر وسيلة النقل الوحيدة "من المزرعة إلى السوق". كانت أول باخرة تصعد النهر الأسود إلى بوكاهونتاس هي لوريل في عام 1829. كانت كل من Davidsonville و Powhatan و Pocahontas و Jacksonport موانئ قوارب بخارية مهمة ، وبحلول نهاية القرن ، سافر حوالي 43 باخرة عبر النهر. واحد كان Idlewild، التي لا تزال في الخدمة في لويزفيل ، كنتاكي ، بعد إعادة بنائها وتسميتها باسم حسناء لويزفيل. وصل أول قطار إلى بوكاهونتاس في عام 1896 ، وحلت خطوط السكك الحديدية تدريجياً محل حركة المرور النهرية. ومع ذلك ، في أواخر العشرينيات من القرن الماضي ، كانت القوارب البخارية والقوارب المتعثرة (المستخدمة لإزالة حطام الأنهار) لا تزال تعمل.

في الأيام السابقة ، كان للنهر الأسود عدد كبير من بلح البحر النهري. في عام 1897 ، وجد الدكتور جي إتش مايرز كرة لؤلؤة كبيرة على بعد ميلين شمال بلاك روك. أدى هذا إلى "اندفاع اللؤلؤ" ، وانتشرت المعسكرات على طول النهر. قدمت الصدفات أم اللؤلؤ ، وأنشأ مايرز ، مع آخرين ، مصنعًا للأزرار في بلاك روك بعد ثلاث سنوات. وفقًا لمايرز ، كان هذا أول مصنع للأزرار في الجنوب. متاحف المنطقة ، مثل متحف مقاطعة راندولف للتراث ، لديها أدوات لصنع الأزرار وأصداف تم قطع الأزرار منها. بلغ تصنيع زر اللؤلؤ ذروته في منتصف الأربعينيات. أدى الحصاد الجائر والطمي في النهر الناجم عن الزراعة والتجريف إلى انخفاض كبير في تجمعات بلح البحر. هذا ، جنبًا إلى جنب مع انخفاض الطلب على عرق اللؤلؤ بسبب اختراع الأزرار البلاستيكية والسحاب ، أنهى عمليًا صناعات اللؤلؤ والأزرار في منتصف القرن العشرين. ومع ذلك ، لا يزال عدد قليل من "المقشرات" يجمعون بلح البحر. قاموا بتقطيع الأصداف إلى كريات صغيرة من أم اللؤلؤ لتصديرها إلى آسيا ، لاستخدامها في صناعة اللؤلؤ المزروع.

كان النهر دائمًا عرضة للفيضانات ، وكان عبوره يمثل تحديًا في السنوات الماضية. لسنوات عديدة ، أُجبر الأشخاص الذين يسافرون لفترات الربيع للمحاكمة بين كورنينج وبيجوت ، مقعدي المقاطعة في مقاطعة كلاي ، على ركوب قطار إلى بوبلار بلاف بولاية ميسوري ، ثم ركوب قطار صباح اليوم التالي إلى قاعة المحكمة الأخرى. تم الاستشهاد بالفيضانات كأحد أسباب زوال ديفيدسونفيل وكانت مسؤولة جزئيًا عن إقبال خفيف للناخبين في المنطقة عندما هُزم دستور أركنساس المقترح لعام 1918 في صناديق الاقتراع. استمرت الفيضانات حتى يومنا هذا ، مع حدوث فيضانات شديدة في عامي 2008 و 2011.

في السنوات الأولى ، لم يكن لدى ولاية أركنساس أموال لبناء البنية التحتية ، لذلك منحت المقاطعات تراخيص لمشغلي العبارات وبناة الجسور ، الذين مولوا التحسينات بشكل خاص وفرضوا رسومًا. تم تشغيل الجسر الأول في بوهاتان ، وهو جسر متأرجح واهٍ. في عام 1938 ، اشترى الحاكم كارل بيلي ، الذي كرس لإزالة جميع جسور الرسوم في أركنساس ، حقوقًا لموقع عبّارة موجود أعلى النهر. ثم استخدمت الولاية إشارات الطرق السريعة لتحويل حركة المرور من الجسر. بسبب انخفاض عائدات الرسوم ، رفع المالك دعوى ، وفاز في المستوى التجريبي. أثناء نظر القضية في الاستئناف ، تم تسوية الطرفين ، ودفعت الدولة للمالك 68000 دولار مقابل الجسر ، والذي تم استبداله لاحقًا بهيكل آمن. اليوم ، هناك خمسة طرق سريعة وأربعة جسور للسكك الحديدية تعبر النهر. تم إدراج جسر النهر الأسود في بوكاهونتاس ، الذي بني عام 1934 ، في السجل الوطني للأماكن التاريخية. في مايو 2015 ، تم افتتاح جسر جديد يمتد على النهر الأسود في بلاك روك ، ليحل محل هيكل عام 1949 ، والذي أعلن مسؤولي الطرق السريعة أنه ناقص في عام 2010.

يتم عرض العديد من القطع الأثرية والصور الفوتوغرافية والسجلات التاريخية التي تُظهر الصناعة والحياة على النهر في منتزه Davidsonville Historic State Park ، ومحكمة Powhatan ، ومتحف Jacksonport Courthouse ، ومتحف Randolph County Heritage Museum ، ومركز Eddie Mae Herron.

للحصول على معلومات إضافية:
دوغان ، مايكل ب. "عقيدة التدمير الإبداعي: ​​قانون العبّارة والجسر في أركنساس." أركنساس التاريخية الفصلية 39 (صيف 1980): 136-158.

مقاطعة لورانس ، أركنساس: 1815-2001. بادوكا ، كنتاكي: شركة تيرنر للنشر ، 2001.

ماكجينيس ، إيه سي "بدأ البحث عن اللؤلؤ في عام 1897." وقائع مقاطعة الاستقلال 9 (يوليو 1968): 25-29.

الغرب ، مابل. "جاكسونبورت ، أركنساس: صعودها وانحدارها." أركنساس التاريخية الفصلية 9 (شتاء 1950): 231-258.


النهر الاسود

لعب النهر الأسود دورًا مهمًا ، لكنه متغير ، في حياة سكان شمال شرق أركنساس. بالنسبة للأميركيين الأصليين الذين عاشوا في المنطقة ، كانت مصدرًا أساسيًا للطعام والمواصلات. ظل هذا صحيحًا بالنسبة للمستوطنين الأوروبيين في الأيام التي سبقت الطرق والسكك الحديدية. كان النهر أيضًا "طريقًا سريعًا" أساسيًا للقوارب المسطحة والبواخر النهرية التي تنقل الأشخاص والبضائع من وإلى المنطقة. دعم النهر تنمية الصناعة المحلية كوسيلة لنقل الأخشاب من الغابات إلى أماكن مثل مطحنة Sallee Brothers Hand Mill في بوكاهونتاس (مقاطعة راندولف) ، بينما زود صيد بلح البحر باللآلئ وصدف اللؤلؤ لصناعة الأزرار المحلية سنوات عدة. في حين أن النهر لم يعد يعمل كوسيلة للنقل ، إلا أنه لا يزال موقعًا ترفيهيًا مهمًا للصيد وصيد الأسماك والمشي لمسافات طويلة ومشاهدة الطيور وركوب القوارب والمزيد. صرح محامي Batesville (مقاطعة الاستقلال) والكاتب "Fent" Noland في عام 1839 ، "من المقرر أن يكون البلد أعلى النهر الأبيض والأسود هو الأفضل في أركنساس. لقد فعلت الطبيعة كل ما في وسعها - سيقوم الإنسان بالباقي ".

يقع منبع النهر الأسود في جنوب شرق ولاية ميسوري. يتكون من ثلاثة أنهار ، ويتدفق جنوبًا ، ويعبر حدود أركنساس في مقاطعة كلاي شمال شرق كورنينغ. من هناك ، يتدفق بشكل عام إلى الجنوب الغربي ويمر عبر منطقة Dave Donaldson Black River Wildlife Management Area (WMA) ، عبر مقاطعة Randolph إلى Pocahontas ، وصولاً إلى Davidsonville Historic State Park. يعبر إلى مقاطعة لورانس فوق بلدة بلاك روك مباشرة ويستمر في الجنوب الغربي إلى مجتمع بوهاتان (مقاطعة لورانس). من هناك ، يتدفق جنوبًا عبر Shirey Bay - Rainey Brake WMA ، ويعبر الحدود الجنوبية لمقاطعة لورانس ، ويشكل الحدود الشرقية الغربية بين مقاطعتي إندبندنس وجاكسون. يتحول أخيرًا إلى الجنوب الشرقي ويدخل وايت ريفر في جاكسونبورت (مقاطعة جاكسون) ، شمال نيوبورت (مقاطعة جاكسون). روافد أركنساس هي أنهار ليتل بلاك ، ونهر الربيع ، والفراولة ، ومع ارتباطها بالنهر الأبيض ، فهي جزء من مستجمعات المياه في نهر المسيسيبي. يحتوي Black على العديد من الانحناءات الحادة ، والعديد منها يحمل أسماء ملونة ، مثل Deadman and Hole in the Wall في منطقة Davidsonville Historic State Park ، إلى جانب انحناءات Box Factory و Battle Axe و Dead Mule في مجرى النهر السفلي.

يوفر النهر و WMAs التي يتدفق من خلالها فرصًا وفيرة للصيادين والصيادين والمتنزهين ومراقبي الحياة البرية. الأنواع الرئيسية من الأسماك داخلها هي ارجموث باس ، والكرابي ، وسمك السلور. يحظى صيد البط والسنجاب والغزلان والأرانب والديك الرومي بشعبية على طول مساره ، ويوفر كل من Donaldson و Shirey Bay WMAs مستودعات خضراء رائعة للأشجار (بركة بطة الغابة). هناك أيضًا مجموعة من المزارعين مثل القندس والمسك والمنك والراكون. العديد من النسور الصلعاء والذهبية الشتاء حول بحيرة أشبو في دونالدسون WMA ويمكن رؤيتها في البحيرة أو حولها من نوفمبر حتى فبراير.

تتمتع The Black والمنطقة المحيطة بها بتاريخ رائع ، حيث سكنها في البداية بناة تلال ما قبل كولومبوس ، ثم أوساج وشيروكي. كان المستوطنون الأوروبيون الأوائل فرنسيين. في الأيام التي سبقت توغل السكك الحديدية في المنطقة ، كانت القوارب المسطحة والقوارب البخارية ضرورية لنقل الأشخاص والبضائع ، حيث كانت توفر وسيلة النقل الوحيدة "من المزرعة إلى السوق". كانت أول باخرة تصعد النهر الأسود إلى بوكاهونتاس هي لوريل في عام 1829. كانت كل من Davidsonville و Powhatan و Pocahontas و Jacksonport موانئ قوارب بخارية مهمة ، وبحلول نهاية القرن ، سافر حوالي 43 باخرة عبر النهر. واحد كان Idlewild، التي لا تزال في الخدمة في لويزفيل ، كنتاكي ، بعد إعادة بنائها وتسميتها باسم حسناء لويزفيل. وصل أول قطار إلى بوكاهونتاس في عام 1896 ، وحلت خطوط السكك الحديدية تدريجياً محل حركة المرور النهرية. ومع ذلك ، في أواخر العشرينيات من القرن الماضي ، كانت القوارب البخارية والقوارب المتعثرة (المستخدمة لإزالة حطام الأنهار) لا تزال تعمل.

في الأيام السابقة ، كان للنهر الأسود عدد كبير من بلح البحر النهري. في عام 1897 ، وجد الدكتور جي إتش مايرز كرة لؤلؤة كبيرة على بعد ميلين شمال بلاك روك. أدى هذا إلى "اندفاع اللؤلؤ" ، وانتشرت المعسكرات على طول النهر. قدمت الصدفات أم اللؤلؤ ، وأنشأ مايرز ، مع آخرين ، مصنعًا للأزرار في بلاك روك بعد ثلاث سنوات. وفقًا لمايرز ، كان هذا أول مصنع للأزرار في الجنوب. متاحف المنطقة ، مثل متحف مقاطعة راندولف للتراث ، لديها أدوات لصنع الأزرار وأصداف تم قطع الأزرار منها. بلغ تصنيع زر اللؤلؤ ذروته في منتصف الأربعينيات. أدى الحصاد الجائر والطمي في النهر الناجم عن الزراعة والتجريف إلى انخفاض كبير في تجمعات بلح البحر. هذا ، جنبًا إلى جنب مع انخفاض الطلب على عرق اللؤلؤ بسبب اختراع الأزرار البلاستيكية والسحاب ، أنهى عمليًا صناعات اللؤلؤ والأزرار في منتصف القرن العشرين. ومع ذلك ، لا يزال عدد قليل من "المقشرات" يجمعون بلح البحر. قاموا بتقطيع الأصداف إلى كريات صغيرة من أم اللؤلؤ لتصديرها إلى آسيا ، لاستخدامها في صناعة اللؤلؤ المزروع.

كان النهر دائمًا عرضة للفيضانات ، وكان عبوره يمثل تحديًا في السنوات الماضية. لسنوات عديدة ، أُجبر الأشخاص الذين يسافرون لفترات الربيع للمحاكمة بين كورنينج وبيجوت ، مقعدي المقاطعة في مقاطعة كلاي ، على ركوب قطار إلى بوبلار بلاف بولاية ميسوري ، ثم ركوب قطار صباح اليوم التالي إلى قاعة المحكمة الأخرى. تم الاستشهاد بالفيضانات كأحد أسباب زوال ديفيدسونفيل وكانت مسؤولة جزئيًا عن إقبال خفيف للناخبين في المنطقة عندما هُزم دستور أركنساس المقترح لعام 1918 في صناديق الاقتراع. استمرت الفيضانات حتى يومنا هذا ، مع حدوث فيضانات شديدة في عامي 2008 و 2011.

في السنوات الأولى ، لم يكن لدى ولاية أركنساس أموال لبناء البنية التحتية ، لذلك منحت المقاطعات تراخيص لمشغلي العبارات وبناة الجسور ، الذين مولوا التحسينات بشكل خاص وفرضوا رسومًا. تم تشغيل الجسر الأول في بوهاتان ، وهو جسر متأرجح واهٍ. في عام 1938 ، اشترى الحاكم كارل بيلي ، الذي كرس لإزالة جميع جسور الرسوم في أركنساس ، حقوقًا لموقع عبّارة موجود أعلى النهر. ثم استخدمت الولاية إشارات الطرق السريعة لتحويل حركة المرور من الجسر. بسبب انخفاض عائدات الرسوم ، رفع المالك دعوى ، وفاز في المستوى التجريبي. أثناء نظر القضية في الاستئناف ، تم تسوية الطرفين ، ودفعت الدولة للمالك 68000 دولار مقابل الجسر ، والذي تم استبداله لاحقًا بهيكل آمن. اليوم ، هناك خمسة طرق سريعة وأربعة جسور للسكك الحديدية تعبر النهر. تم إدراج جسر النهر الأسود في بوكاهونتاس ، الذي تم بناؤه عام 1934 ، في السجل الوطني للأماكن التاريخية. في مايو 2015 ، تم افتتاح جسر جديد يمتد على النهر الأسود في بلاك روك ، ليحل محل هيكل عام 1949 ، والذي أعلن مسؤولي الطرق السريعة أنه ناقص في عام 2010.

يتم عرض العديد من القطع الأثرية والصور الفوتوغرافية والسجلات التاريخية التي تُظهر الصناعة والحياة على النهر في منتزه Davidsonville Historic State Park ، ومحكمة Powhatan ، ومتحف Jacksonport Courthouse ، ومتحف Randolph County Heritage Museum ، ومركز Eddie Mae Herron.

للحصول على معلومات إضافية:
دوغان ، مايكل ب. "عقيدة التدمير الإبداعي: ​​قانون العبّارة والجسر في أركنساس." أركنساس التاريخية الفصلية 39 (صيف 1980): 136-158.

مقاطعة لورانس ، أركنساس: 1815-2001. بادوكا ، كنتاكي: شركة تيرنر للنشر ، 2001.

ماكجينيس ، إيه سي "بدأ البحث عن اللؤلؤ في عام 1897." وقائع مقاطعة الاستقلال 9 (يوليو 1968): 25-29.

الغرب ، مابل. "جاكسونبورت ، أركنساس: صعودها وانحدارها." أركنساس التاريخية الفصلية 9 (شتاء 1950): 231-258.


النهر الاسود

لعب النهر الأسود دورًا مهمًا ولكنه متغير في حياة سكان شمال شرق أركنساس. بالنسبة للأميركيين الأصليين الذين عاشوا في المنطقة ، كانت مصدرًا أساسيًا للطعام والمواصلات. ظل هذا صحيحًا بالنسبة للمستوطنين الأوروبيين في الأيام التي سبقت الطرق والسكك الحديدية. كان النهر أيضًا "طريقًا سريعًا" أساسيًا للقوارب المسطحة والبواخر النهرية التي تنقل الأشخاص والبضائع من وإلى المنطقة. دعم النهر تنمية الصناعة المحلية كوسيلة لنقل الأخشاب من الغابات إلى أماكن مثل مطحنة Sallee Brothers Hand Mill في بوكاهونتاس (مقاطعة راندولف) ، بينما زود صيد بلح البحر باللآلئ وصدف اللؤلؤ لصناعة الأزرار المحلية سنوات عدة. في حين أن النهر لم يعد يعمل كوسيلة للنقل ، إلا أنه لا يزال موقعًا ترفيهيًا مهمًا للصيد وصيد الأسماك والمشي لمسافات طويلة ومشاهدة الطيور وركوب القوارب والمزيد. صرح محامي Batesville (مقاطعة الاستقلال) والكاتب "Fent" Noland في عام 1839 ، "من المقرر أن يكون البلد أعلى النهر الأبيض والأسود هو الأفضل في أركنساس. لقد فعلت الطبيعة كل ما في وسعها - سيقوم الإنسان بالباقي ".

يقع منبع النهر الأسود في جنوب شرق ولاية ميسوري. يتكون من ثلاثة أنهار ، ويتدفق جنوبًا ، ويعبر حدود أركنساس في مقاطعة كلاي شمال شرق كورنينغ. من هناك ، يتدفق بشكل عام إلى الجنوب الغربي ويمر عبر منطقة Dave Donaldson Black River Wildlife Management Area (WMA) ، عبر مقاطعة Randolph إلى Pocahontas ، وصولاً إلى Davidsonville Historic State Park. يعبر إلى مقاطعة لورانس فوق بلدة بلاك روك مباشرة ويستمر في الجنوب الغربي إلى مجتمع بوهاتان (مقاطعة لورانس). من هناك ، يتدفق جنوبًا عبر Shirey Bay - Rainey Brake WMA ، ويعبر الحدود الجنوبية لمقاطعة لورانس ، ويشكل الحدود الشرقية الغربية بين مقاطعتي إندبندنس وجاكسون. يتحول أخيرًا إلى الجنوب الشرقي ويدخل وايت ريفر في جاكسونبورت (مقاطعة جاكسون) ، شمال نيوبورت (مقاطعة جاكسون). روافد أركنساس هي أنهار ليتل بلاك ، ونهر الربيع ، والفراولة ، ومع ارتباطها بالنهر الأبيض ، فهي جزء من مستجمعات المياه في نهر المسيسيبي. يحتوي Black على العديد من الانحناءات الحادة ، والعديد منها يحمل أسماء ملونة ، مثل Deadman and Hole in the Wall في منطقة Davidsonville Historic State Park ، إلى جانب انحناءات Box Factory و Battle Axe و Dead Mule في مجرى النهر السفلي.

يوفر النهر و WMAs التي يتدفق من خلالها فرصًا وفيرة للصيادين والصيادين والمتنزهين ومراقبي الحياة البرية. الأنواع الرئيسية من الأسماك داخلها هي ارجموث باس ، والكرابي ، وسمك السلور. يحظى صيد البط والسنجاب والغزلان والأرانب والديك الرومي بشعبية على طول مساره ، ويوفر كل من Donaldson و Shirey Bay WMAs مستودعات خضراء رائعة للأشجار (بركة بطة الغابة). هناك أيضًا مجموعة من المزارعين مثل القندس والمسك والمنك والراكون. العديد من النسور الصلعاء والذهبية الشتاء حول بحيرة أشبو في دونالدسون WMA ويمكن رؤيتها في البحيرة أو حولها من نوفمبر حتى فبراير.

تتمتع The Black والمنطقة المحيطة بها بتاريخ رائع ، حيث سكنها في البداية بناة تلال ما قبل كولومبوس ، ثم أوساج وشيروكي. كان المستوطنون الأوروبيون الأوائل فرنسيين. في الأيام التي سبقت توغل السكك الحديدية في المنطقة ، كانت القوارب المسطحة والقوارب البخارية ضرورية لنقل الأشخاص والبضائع ، حيث كانت توفر وسيلة النقل الوحيدة "من المزرعة إلى السوق". كانت أول باخرة تصعد النهر الأسود إلى بوكاهونتاس هي لوريل في عام 1829. كانت كل من Davidsonville و Powhatan و Pocahontas و Jacksonport موانئ قوارب بخارية مهمة ، وبحلول نهاية القرن ، سافر حوالي 43 باخرة عبر النهر. واحد كان Idlewild، التي لا تزال في الخدمة في لويزفيل ، كنتاكي ، بعد إعادة بنائها وتسميتها باسم حسناء لويزفيل. وصل أول قطار إلى بوكاهونتاس في عام 1896 ، وحلت خطوط السكك الحديدية تدريجياً محل حركة المرور النهرية. ومع ذلك ، في أواخر العشرينيات من القرن الماضي ، كانت القوارب البخارية والقوارب المتعثرة (المستخدمة لإزالة حطام الأنهار) لا تزال تعمل.

في الأيام السابقة ، كان للنهر الأسود عدد كبير من بلح البحر النهري. في عام 1897 ، وجد الدكتور جي إتش مايرز كرة لؤلؤة كبيرة على بعد ميلين شمال بلاك روك. أدى ذلك إلى "اندفاع اللؤلؤ" ، وانتشرت المعسكرات على طول النهر. قدمت الصدفات أم اللؤلؤ ، وأنشأ مايرز ، مع آخرين ، مصنعًا للأزرار في بلاك روك بعد ثلاث سنوات. وفقًا لمايرز ، كان هذا أول مصنع للأزرار في الجنوب. متاحف المنطقة ، مثل متحف مقاطعة راندولف للتراث ، لديها أدوات لصنع الأزرار وأصداف تم قطع الأزرار منها. بلغ تصنيع زر اللؤلؤ ذروته في منتصف الأربعينيات. أدى الحصاد الجائر والطمي في النهر الناجم عن الزراعة والتجريف إلى انخفاض كبير في تجمعات بلح البحر. هذا ، إلى جانب انخفاض الطلب على الصدف بسبب اختراع الأزرار البلاستيكية والسحاب ، أنهى عمليًا صناعات اللؤلؤ والأزرار في منتصف القرن العشرين. ومع ذلك ، لا يزال عدد قليل من "المقشرات" يجمعون بلح البحر. قاموا بتقطيع الأصداف إلى كريات صغيرة من أم اللؤلؤ لتصديرها إلى آسيا ، لاستخدامها في صناعة اللؤلؤ المزروع.

كان النهر دائمًا عرضة للفيضانات ، وكان عبوره يمثل تحديًا في السنوات الماضية. لسنوات عديدة ، أُجبر الأشخاص الذين يسافرون لفترات الربيع للمحاكمة بين كورنينج وبيجوت ، مقعدي المقاطعة في مقاطعة كلاي ، على ركوب قطار إلى بوبلار بلاف بولاية ميسوري ، ثم ركوب قطار صباح اليوم التالي إلى قاعة المحكمة الأخرى. تم الاستشهاد بالفيضانات كأحد أسباب زوال ديفيدسونفيل وكانت مسؤولة جزئيًا عن إقبال خفيف للناخبين في المنطقة عندما هُزم دستور أركنساس المقترح لعام 1918 في صناديق الاقتراع. استمرت الفيضانات حتى يومنا هذا ، مع حدوث فيضانات شديدة في عامي 2008 و 2011.

في السنوات الأولى ، لم يكن لدى ولاية أركنساس أموال لبناء البنية التحتية ، لذلك منحت المقاطعات تراخيص لمشغلي العبارات وبناة الجسور ، الذين مولوا التحسينات بشكل خاص وفرضوا رسومًا. تم تشغيل الجسر الأول في بوهاتان ، وهو جسر متأرجح واهٍ. في عام 1938 ، اشترى الحاكم كارل بيلي ، الذي كرس لإزالة جميع جسور الرسوم في أركنساس ، حقوقًا لموقع عبّارة موجود أعلى النهر. ثم استخدمت الولاية إشارات الطرق السريعة لتحويل حركة المرور من الجسر. بسبب انخفاض عائدات الرسوم ، رفع المالك دعوى ، وفاز في المستوى التجريبي. أثناء نظر القضية في الاستئناف ، تم تسوية الطرفين ، ودفعت الدولة للمالك 68000 دولار مقابل الجسر ، والذي تم استبداله لاحقًا بهيكل آمن. اليوم ، هناك خمسة طرق سريعة وأربعة جسور للسكك الحديدية تعبر النهر. تم إدراج جسر النهر الأسود في بوكاهونتاس ، الذي بني عام 1934 ، في السجل الوطني للأماكن التاريخية. في مايو 2015 ، تم افتتاح جسر جديد يمتد على النهر الأسود في بلاك روك ، ليحل محل هيكل عام 1949 ، والذي أعلن مسؤولي الطرق السريعة أنه ناقص في عام 2010.

يتم عرض العديد من القطع الأثرية والصور الفوتوغرافية والسجلات التاريخية التي تُظهر الصناعة والحياة على النهر في منتزه Davidsonville Historic State Park ، ومحكمة Powhatan ، ومتحف Jacksonport Courthouse ، ومتحف Randolph County Heritage Museum ، ومركز Eddie Mae Herron.

للحصول على معلومات إضافية:
دوغان ، مايكل ب. "عقيدة التدمير الإبداعي: ​​قانون العبّارة والجسر في أركنساس." أركنساس التاريخية الفصلية 39 (صيف 1980): 136-158.

مقاطعة لورانس ، أركنساس: 1815-2001. بادوكا ، كنتاكي: شركة تيرنر للنشر ، 2001.

ماكجينيس ، إيه سي "بدأ البحث عن اللؤلؤ في عام 1897." وقائع مقاطعة الاستقلال 9 (يوليو 1968): 25-29.

الغرب ، مابل. "جاكسونبورت ، أركنساس: صعودها وانحدارها." أركنساس التاريخية الفصلية 9 (شتاء 1950): 231-258.


النهر الاسود

لعب النهر الأسود دورًا مهمًا ولكنه متغير في حياة سكان شمال شرق أركنساس. For the early Native Americans who lived in the area, it was an essential food and transportation source. This remained true for European settlers in the days before roads and railroads. The river was also an essential “highway” for the flatboats and river steamers that transported people and goods to and from the area. The river supported the development of local industry as the means for moving timber from the forests to places such as the Sallee Brothers Handle Mill in Pocahontas (Randolph County), while mussel fishing supplied pearls and mother of pearl for the local button-making industry for many years. While the river no longer functions as a means of transportation, it continues to be an important recreational site for hunting, fishing, hiking, bird watching, boating, and more. Batesville (Independence County) lawyer and writer “Fent” Noland stated in 1839, “The country up White River and the Black is destined to be the finest in Arkansas. Nature has done all she could—man will do the rest.”

The Black River’s source is in southeast Missouri. It is formed from three rivers, flows south, and crosses the Arkansas border in Clay County northeast of Corning. From there, it flows generally southwest and passes through the Dave Donaldson Black River Wildlife Management Area (WMA), through Randolph County to Pocahontas, and down to Davidsonville Historic State Park. It crosses into Lawrence County just above the town of Black Rock and continues southwest to the community of Powhatan (Lawrence County). From there, it flows south through the Shirey Bay–Rainey Brake WMA, crosses the southern border of Lawrence County, and forms the east-west border between Independence and Jackson counties. It finally turns southeast and enters the White River at Jacksonport (Jackson County), just north of Newport (Jackson County). Its Arkansas tributaries are the Little Black, Spring, and Strawberry rivers, and with its connection to the White River, it is part of the Mississippi River watershed. The Black has numerous sharp bends, many with colorful names, such as Deadman and Hole in the Wall in the Davidsonville Historic State Park area, along with the Box Factory, Battle Axe, and Dead Mule bends in the lower course of the river.

The river and the WMAs through which it flows provide abundant opportunities for hunters, fishermen, hikers, and wildlife watchers. The main species of fish within it are largemouth bass, crappie, and catfish. Duck, squirrel, deer, rabbit, and turkey hunting are popular along its course, and both the Donaldson and Shirey Bay WMAs offer fine green tree reservoir (woodland duck pond) habitat. There is also a population of furbearers such as beaver, muskrat, mink, and raccoon. Numerous bald and golden eagles winter around Lake Ashbaugh in the Donaldson WMA and can be sighted on or around the lake from November through February.

The Black and its surrounding area have a fascinating history, being first inhabited by pre-Columbian mound builders, then by the Osage and Cherokee. The first European settlers were French. In the days before railroads penetrated the area, flatboats and steamboats were essential to moving people and goods, offering the only “farm to market” transportation. The first steamboat to go up the Black River to Pocahontas was the Laurel in 1829. Davidsonville, Powhatan, Pocahontas, and Jacksonport were important steamboat ports, and by the turn of the century, some forty-three steamboats traveled the river. One was the Idlewild, which is still in service at Louisville, Kentucky, having been rebuilt and renamed the Belle of Louisville. The first train arrived in Pocahontas in 1896, and the railroads gradually replaced river traffic. As late as the 1920s, however, steamboats and snag boats (used to clear river debris) were still in operation.

In earlier days, the Black River had a large population of river mussels. In 1897, Dr. J. H. Myers found a large ball pearl two miles north of Black Rock. This led to a “pearl rush,” and tent camps sprouted along the river. The shells provided mother of pearl, and Myers, with others, established a button factory at Black Rock three years later. According to Myers, this was the first button factory in the South. Area museums, such as the Randolph County Heritage Museum, have button-making tools and shells from which the buttons were cut. Pearl button manufacturing reached its peak in the mid-1940s. Overharvesting and silt in the river caused by farming and dredging have drastically reduced the mussel population. This, along with a decreased demand for mother of pearl due to the invention of plastic buttons and the zipper, virtually ended the pearling and button industries in the mid-twentieth century. However, a small number of “shellers” still gather mussels. They cut the shells into small pellets of mother of pearl for export to Asia, to be used in the cultured pearl industry.

The river has always been prone to flooding, and crossing it proved a challenge in years past. For many years, people traveling for spring terms of court between Corning and Piggott, the two county seats in Clay County, were forced to ride a train to Poplar Bluff, Missouri, and then catch the next morning’s train to the other courthouse. Flooding has been cited as one cause of the demise of Davidsonville and was partly responsible for a light voter turnout in the area when the proposed Arkansas Constitution of 1918 was defeated at the polls. Flooding has continued to this day, with severe flooding occurring in 2008 and 2011.

In early years, the State of Arkansas had no money to build infrastructure, so counties granted licenses to ferry operators and bridge builders, who privately financed the improvements and charged a toll. The first bridge at Powhatan, a flimsy swing bridge, was so operated. In 1938, Governor Carl Bailey, dedicated to removing all toll bridges in Arkansas, purchased rights to an existing ferry site just up the river. The state then used highway signs to divert traffic from the bridge. Because toll revenue dropped, the owner sued, winning at the trial level. While the case was on appeal, the parties settled, and the state paid the owner $68,000 for the bridge, which was later replaced by a safe structure. Today, five highway and four railroad bridges cross the river. The Black River Bridge at Pocahontas, built in 1934, is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. In May 2015, a new bridge spanning the Black River was opened at Black Rock, replacing the 1949 structure, which had been declared deficient by highway officials in 2010.

Many artifacts, photographs, and historical records showing industry and life on the river are on display at Davidsonville Historic State Park, the Powhatan Courthouse, the Jacksonport Courthouse Museum, the Randolph County Heritage Museum, and the Eddie Mae Herron Center.

For additional information:
Dougan, Michael B. “The Doctrine of Creative Destruction: Ferry and Bridge Law in Arkansas.” Arkansas Historical Quarterly 39 (Summer 1980): 136–158.

Lawrence County, Arkansas: 1815–2001. Paducah, KY: Turner Publishing Company, 2001.

McGinnis, A. C. “Pearl Search Began in 1897.” Independence County Chronicle 9 (July 1968): 25–29.

West, Mabel. “Jacksonport, Arkansas: Its Rise and Decline.” Arkansas Historical Quarterly 9 (Winter 1950): 231–258.


Black River

The Black River has played a significant, but shifting, role in the lives of residents of northeast Arkansas. For the early Native Americans who lived in the area, it was an essential food and transportation source. This remained true for European settlers in the days before roads and railroads. The river was also an essential “highway” for the flatboats and river steamers that transported people and goods to and from the area. The river supported the development of local industry as the means for moving timber from the forests to places such as the Sallee Brothers Handle Mill in Pocahontas (Randolph County), while mussel fishing supplied pearls and mother of pearl for the local button-making industry for many years. While the river no longer functions as a means of transportation, it continues to be an important recreational site for hunting, fishing, hiking, bird watching, boating, and more. Batesville (Independence County) lawyer and writer “Fent” Noland stated in 1839, “The country up White River and the Black is destined to be the finest in Arkansas. Nature has done all she could—man will do the rest.”

The Black River’s source is in southeast Missouri. It is formed from three rivers, flows south, and crosses the Arkansas border in Clay County northeast of Corning. From there, it flows generally southwest and passes through the Dave Donaldson Black River Wildlife Management Area (WMA), through Randolph County to Pocahontas, and down to Davidsonville Historic State Park. It crosses into Lawrence County just above the town of Black Rock and continues southwest to the community of Powhatan (Lawrence County). From there, it flows south through the Shirey Bay–Rainey Brake WMA, crosses the southern border of Lawrence County, and forms the east-west border between Independence and Jackson counties. It finally turns southeast and enters the White River at Jacksonport (Jackson County), just north of Newport (Jackson County). Its Arkansas tributaries are the Little Black, Spring, and Strawberry rivers, and with its connection to the White River, it is part of the Mississippi River watershed. The Black has numerous sharp bends, many with colorful names, such as Deadman and Hole in the Wall in the Davidsonville Historic State Park area, along with the Box Factory, Battle Axe, and Dead Mule bends in the lower course of the river.

The river and the WMAs through which it flows provide abundant opportunities for hunters, fishermen, hikers, and wildlife watchers. The main species of fish within it are largemouth bass, crappie, and catfish. Duck, squirrel, deer, rabbit, and turkey hunting are popular along its course, and both the Donaldson and Shirey Bay WMAs offer fine green tree reservoir (woodland duck pond) habitat. There is also a population of furbearers such as beaver, muskrat, mink, and raccoon. Numerous bald and golden eagles winter around Lake Ashbaugh in the Donaldson WMA and can be sighted on or around the lake from November through February.

The Black and its surrounding area have a fascinating history, being first inhabited by pre-Columbian mound builders, then by the Osage and Cherokee. The first European settlers were French. In the days before railroads penetrated the area, flatboats and steamboats were essential to moving people and goods, offering the only “farm to market” transportation. The first steamboat to go up the Black River to Pocahontas was the Laurel in 1829. Davidsonville, Powhatan, Pocahontas, and Jacksonport were important steamboat ports, and by the turn of the century, some forty-three steamboats traveled the river. One was the Idlewild, which is still in service at Louisville, Kentucky, having been rebuilt and renamed the Belle of Louisville. The first train arrived in Pocahontas in 1896, and the railroads gradually replaced river traffic. As late as the 1920s, however, steamboats and snag boats (used to clear river debris) were still in operation.

In earlier days, the Black River had a large population of river mussels. In 1897, Dr. J. H. Myers found a large ball pearl two miles north of Black Rock. This led to a “pearl rush,” and tent camps sprouted along the river. The shells provided mother of pearl, and Myers, with others, established a button factory at Black Rock three years later. According to Myers, this was the first button factory in the South. Area museums, such as the Randolph County Heritage Museum, have button-making tools and shells from which the buttons were cut. Pearl button manufacturing reached its peak in the mid-1940s. Overharvesting and silt in the river caused by farming and dredging have drastically reduced the mussel population. This, along with a decreased demand for mother of pearl due to the invention of plastic buttons and the zipper, virtually ended the pearling and button industries in the mid-twentieth century. However, a small number of “shellers” still gather mussels. They cut the shells into small pellets of mother of pearl for export to Asia, to be used in the cultured pearl industry.

The river has always been prone to flooding, and crossing it proved a challenge in years past. For many years, people traveling for spring terms of court between Corning and Piggott, the two county seats in Clay County, were forced to ride a train to Poplar Bluff, Missouri, and then catch the next morning’s train to the other courthouse. Flooding has been cited as one cause of the demise of Davidsonville and was partly responsible for a light voter turnout in the area when the proposed Arkansas Constitution of 1918 was defeated at the polls. Flooding has continued to this day, with severe flooding occurring in 2008 and 2011.

In early years, the State of Arkansas had no money to build infrastructure, so counties granted licenses to ferry operators and bridge builders, who privately financed the improvements and charged a toll. The first bridge at Powhatan, a flimsy swing bridge, was so operated. In 1938, Governor Carl Bailey, dedicated to removing all toll bridges in Arkansas, purchased rights to an existing ferry site just up the river. The state then used highway signs to divert traffic from the bridge. Because toll revenue dropped, the owner sued, winning at the trial level. While the case was on appeal, the parties settled, and the state paid the owner $68,000 for the bridge, which was later replaced by a safe structure. Today, five highway and four railroad bridges cross the river. The Black River Bridge at Pocahontas, built in 1934, is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. In May 2015, a new bridge spanning the Black River was opened at Black Rock, replacing the 1949 structure, which had been declared deficient by highway officials in 2010.

Many artifacts, photographs, and historical records showing industry and life on the river are on display at Davidsonville Historic State Park, the Powhatan Courthouse, the Jacksonport Courthouse Museum, the Randolph County Heritage Museum, and the Eddie Mae Herron Center.

For additional information:
Dougan, Michael B. “The Doctrine of Creative Destruction: Ferry and Bridge Law in Arkansas.” Arkansas Historical Quarterly 39 (Summer 1980): 136–158.

Lawrence County, Arkansas: 1815–2001. Paducah, KY: Turner Publishing Company, 2001.

McGinnis, A. C. “Pearl Search Began in 1897.” Independence County Chronicle 9 (July 1968): 25–29.

West, Mabel. “Jacksonport, Arkansas: Its Rise and Decline.” Arkansas Historical Quarterly 9 (Winter 1950): 231–258.


Black River

The Black River has played a significant, but shifting, role in the lives of residents of northeast Arkansas. For the early Native Americans who lived in the area, it was an essential food and transportation source. This remained true for European settlers in the days before roads and railroads. The river was also an essential “highway” for the flatboats and river steamers that transported people and goods to and from the area. The river supported the development of local industry as the means for moving timber from the forests to places such as the Sallee Brothers Handle Mill in Pocahontas (Randolph County), while mussel fishing supplied pearls and mother of pearl for the local button-making industry for many years. While the river no longer functions as a means of transportation, it continues to be an important recreational site for hunting, fishing, hiking, bird watching, boating, and more. Batesville (Independence County) lawyer and writer “Fent” Noland stated in 1839, “The country up White River and the Black is destined to be the finest in Arkansas. Nature has done all she could—man will do the rest.”

The Black River’s source is in southeast Missouri. It is formed from three rivers, flows south, and crosses the Arkansas border in Clay County northeast of Corning. From there, it flows generally southwest and passes through the Dave Donaldson Black River Wildlife Management Area (WMA), through Randolph County to Pocahontas, and down to Davidsonville Historic State Park. It crosses into Lawrence County just above the town of Black Rock and continues southwest to the community of Powhatan (Lawrence County). From there, it flows south through the Shirey Bay–Rainey Brake WMA, crosses the southern border of Lawrence County, and forms the east-west border between Independence and Jackson counties. It finally turns southeast and enters the White River at Jacksonport (Jackson County), just north of Newport (Jackson County). Its Arkansas tributaries are the Little Black, Spring, and Strawberry rivers, and with its connection to the White River, it is part of the Mississippi River watershed. The Black has numerous sharp bends, many with colorful names, such as Deadman and Hole in the Wall in the Davidsonville Historic State Park area, along with the Box Factory, Battle Axe, and Dead Mule bends in the lower course of the river.

The river and the WMAs through which it flows provide abundant opportunities for hunters, fishermen, hikers, and wildlife watchers. The main species of fish within it are largemouth bass, crappie, and catfish. Duck, squirrel, deer, rabbit, and turkey hunting are popular along its course, and both the Donaldson and Shirey Bay WMAs offer fine green tree reservoir (woodland duck pond) habitat. There is also a population of furbearers such as beaver, muskrat, mink, and raccoon. Numerous bald and golden eagles winter around Lake Ashbaugh in the Donaldson WMA and can be sighted on or around the lake from November through February.

The Black and its surrounding area have a fascinating history, being first inhabited by pre-Columbian mound builders, then by the Osage and Cherokee. The first European settlers were French. In the days before railroads penetrated the area, flatboats and steamboats were essential to moving people and goods, offering the only “farm to market” transportation. The first steamboat to go up the Black River to Pocahontas was the Laurel in 1829. Davidsonville, Powhatan, Pocahontas, and Jacksonport were important steamboat ports, and by the turn of the century, some forty-three steamboats traveled the river. One was the Idlewild, which is still in service at Louisville, Kentucky, having been rebuilt and renamed the Belle of Louisville. The first train arrived in Pocahontas in 1896, and the railroads gradually replaced river traffic. As late as the 1920s, however, steamboats and snag boats (used to clear river debris) were still in operation.

In earlier days, the Black River had a large population of river mussels. In 1897, Dr. J. H. Myers found a large ball pearl two miles north of Black Rock. This led to a “pearl rush,” and tent camps sprouted along the river. The shells provided mother of pearl, and Myers, with others, established a button factory at Black Rock three years later. According to Myers, this was the first button factory in the South. Area museums, such as the Randolph County Heritage Museum, have button-making tools and shells from which the buttons were cut. Pearl button manufacturing reached its peak in the mid-1940s. Overharvesting and silt in the river caused by farming and dredging have drastically reduced the mussel population. This, along with a decreased demand for mother of pearl due to the invention of plastic buttons and the zipper, virtually ended the pearling and button industries in the mid-twentieth century. However, a small number of “shellers” still gather mussels. They cut the shells into small pellets of mother of pearl for export to Asia, to be used in the cultured pearl industry.

The river has always been prone to flooding, and crossing it proved a challenge in years past. For many years, people traveling for spring terms of court between Corning and Piggott, the two county seats in Clay County, were forced to ride a train to Poplar Bluff, Missouri, and then catch the next morning’s train to the other courthouse. Flooding has been cited as one cause of the demise of Davidsonville and was partly responsible for a light voter turnout in the area when the proposed Arkansas Constitution of 1918 was defeated at the polls. Flooding has continued to this day, with severe flooding occurring in 2008 and 2011.

In early years, the State of Arkansas had no money to build infrastructure, so counties granted licenses to ferry operators and bridge builders, who privately financed the improvements and charged a toll. The first bridge at Powhatan, a flimsy swing bridge, was so operated. In 1938, Governor Carl Bailey, dedicated to removing all toll bridges in Arkansas, purchased rights to an existing ferry site just up the river. The state then used highway signs to divert traffic from the bridge. Because toll revenue dropped, the owner sued, winning at the trial level. While the case was on appeal, the parties settled, and the state paid the owner $68,000 for the bridge, which was later replaced by a safe structure. Today, five highway and four railroad bridges cross the river. The Black River Bridge at Pocahontas, built in 1934, is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. In May 2015, a new bridge spanning the Black River was opened at Black Rock, replacing the 1949 structure, which had been declared deficient by highway officials in 2010.

Many artifacts, photographs, and historical records showing industry and life on the river are on display at Davidsonville Historic State Park, the Powhatan Courthouse, the Jacksonport Courthouse Museum, the Randolph County Heritage Museum, and the Eddie Mae Herron Center.

For additional information:
Dougan, Michael B. “The Doctrine of Creative Destruction: Ferry and Bridge Law in Arkansas.” Arkansas Historical Quarterly 39 (Summer 1980): 136–158.

Lawrence County, Arkansas: 1815–2001. Paducah, KY: Turner Publishing Company, 2001.

McGinnis, A. C. “Pearl Search Began in 1897.” Independence County Chronicle 9 (July 1968): 25–29.

West, Mabel. “Jacksonport, Arkansas: Its Rise and Decline.” Arkansas Historical Quarterly 9 (Winter 1950): 231–258.


Black River

The Black River has played a significant, but shifting, role in the lives of residents of northeast Arkansas. For the early Native Americans who lived in the area, it was an essential food and transportation source. This remained true for European settlers in the days before roads and railroads. The river was also an essential “highway” for the flatboats and river steamers that transported people and goods to and from the area. The river supported the development of local industry as the means for moving timber from the forests to places such as the Sallee Brothers Handle Mill in Pocahontas (Randolph County), while mussel fishing supplied pearls and mother of pearl for the local button-making industry for many years. While the river no longer functions as a means of transportation, it continues to be an important recreational site for hunting, fishing, hiking, bird watching, boating, and more. Batesville (Independence County) lawyer and writer “Fent” Noland stated in 1839, “The country up White River and the Black is destined to be the finest in Arkansas. Nature has done all she could—man will do the rest.”

The Black River’s source is in southeast Missouri. It is formed from three rivers, flows south, and crosses the Arkansas border in Clay County northeast of Corning. From there, it flows generally southwest and passes through the Dave Donaldson Black River Wildlife Management Area (WMA), through Randolph County to Pocahontas, and down to Davidsonville Historic State Park. It crosses into Lawrence County just above the town of Black Rock and continues southwest to the community of Powhatan (Lawrence County). From there, it flows south through the Shirey Bay–Rainey Brake WMA, crosses the southern border of Lawrence County, and forms the east-west border between Independence and Jackson counties. It finally turns southeast and enters the White River at Jacksonport (Jackson County), just north of Newport (Jackson County). Its Arkansas tributaries are the Little Black, Spring, and Strawberry rivers, and with its connection to the White River, it is part of the Mississippi River watershed. The Black has numerous sharp bends, many with colorful names, such as Deadman and Hole in the Wall in the Davidsonville Historic State Park area, along with the Box Factory, Battle Axe, and Dead Mule bends in the lower course of the river.

The river and the WMAs through which it flows provide abundant opportunities for hunters, fishermen, hikers, and wildlife watchers. The main species of fish within it are largemouth bass, crappie, and catfish. Duck, squirrel, deer, rabbit, and turkey hunting are popular along its course, and both the Donaldson and Shirey Bay WMAs offer fine green tree reservoir (woodland duck pond) habitat. There is also a population of furbearers such as beaver, muskrat, mink, and raccoon. Numerous bald and golden eagles winter around Lake Ashbaugh in the Donaldson WMA and can be sighted on or around the lake from November through February.

The Black and its surrounding area have a fascinating history, being first inhabited by pre-Columbian mound builders, then by the Osage and Cherokee. The first European settlers were French. In the days before railroads penetrated the area, flatboats and steamboats were essential to moving people and goods, offering the only “farm to market” transportation. The first steamboat to go up the Black River to Pocahontas was the Laurel in 1829. Davidsonville, Powhatan, Pocahontas, and Jacksonport were important steamboat ports, and by the turn of the century, some forty-three steamboats traveled the river. One was the Idlewild, which is still in service at Louisville, Kentucky, having been rebuilt and renamed the Belle of Louisville. The first train arrived in Pocahontas in 1896, and the railroads gradually replaced river traffic. As late as the 1920s, however, steamboats and snag boats (used to clear river debris) were still in operation.

In earlier days, the Black River had a large population of river mussels. In 1897, Dr. J. H. Myers found a large ball pearl two miles north of Black Rock. This led to a “pearl rush,” and tent camps sprouted along the river. The shells provided mother of pearl, and Myers, with others, established a button factory at Black Rock three years later. According to Myers, this was the first button factory in the South. Area museums, such as the Randolph County Heritage Museum, have button-making tools and shells from which the buttons were cut. Pearl button manufacturing reached its peak in the mid-1940s. Overharvesting and silt in the river caused by farming and dredging have drastically reduced the mussel population. This, along with a decreased demand for mother of pearl due to the invention of plastic buttons and the zipper, virtually ended the pearling and button industries in the mid-twentieth century. However, a small number of “shellers” still gather mussels. They cut the shells into small pellets of mother of pearl for export to Asia, to be used in the cultured pearl industry.

The river has always been prone to flooding, and crossing it proved a challenge in years past. For many years, people traveling for spring terms of court between Corning and Piggott, the two county seats in Clay County, were forced to ride a train to Poplar Bluff, Missouri, and then catch the next morning’s train to the other courthouse. Flooding has been cited as one cause of the demise of Davidsonville and was partly responsible for a light voter turnout in the area when the proposed Arkansas Constitution of 1918 was defeated at the polls. Flooding has continued to this day, with severe flooding occurring in 2008 and 2011.

In early years, the State of Arkansas had no money to build infrastructure, so counties granted licenses to ferry operators and bridge builders, who privately financed the improvements and charged a toll. The first bridge at Powhatan, a flimsy swing bridge, was so operated. In 1938, Governor Carl Bailey, dedicated to removing all toll bridges in Arkansas, purchased rights to an existing ferry site just up the river. The state then used highway signs to divert traffic from the bridge. Because toll revenue dropped, the owner sued, winning at the trial level. While the case was on appeal, the parties settled, and the state paid the owner $68,000 for the bridge, which was later replaced by a safe structure. Today, five highway and four railroad bridges cross the river. The Black River Bridge at Pocahontas, built in 1934, is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. In May 2015, a new bridge spanning the Black River was opened at Black Rock, replacing the 1949 structure, which had been declared deficient by highway officials in 2010.

Many artifacts, photographs, and historical records showing industry and life on the river are on display at Davidsonville Historic State Park, the Powhatan Courthouse, the Jacksonport Courthouse Museum, the Randolph County Heritage Museum, and the Eddie Mae Herron Center.

For additional information:
Dougan, Michael B. “The Doctrine of Creative Destruction: Ferry and Bridge Law in Arkansas.” Arkansas Historical Quarterly 39 (Summer 1980): 136–158.

Lawrence County, Arkansas: 1815–2001. Paducah, KY: Turner Publishing Company, 2001.

McGinnis, A. C. “Pearl Search Began in 1897.” Independence County Chronicle 9 (July 1968): 25–29.

West, Mabel. “Jacksonport, Arkansas: Its Rise and Decline.” Arkansas Historical Quarterly 9 (Winter 1950): 231–258.


Black River

The Black River has played a significant, but shifting, role in the lives of residents of northeast Arkansas. For the early Native Americans who lived in the area, it was an essential food and transportation source. This remained true for European settlers in the days before roads and railroads. The river was also an essential “highway” for the flatboats and river steamers that transported people and goods to and from the area. The river supported the development of local industry as the means for moving timber from the forests to places such as the Sallee Brothers Handle Mill in Pocahontas (Randolph County), while mussel fishing supplied pearls and mother of pearl for the local button-making industry for many years. While the river no longer functions as a means of transportation, it continues to be an important recreational site for hunting, fishing, hiking, bird watching, boating, and more. Batesville (Independence County) lawyer and writer “Fent” Noland stated in 1839, “The country up White River and the Black is destined to be the finest in Arkansas. Nature has done all she could—man will do the rest.”

The Black River’s source is in southeast Missouri. It is formed from three rivers, flows south, and crosses the Arkansas border in Clay County northeast of Corning. From there, it flows generally southwest and passes through the Dave Donaldson Black River Wildlife Management Area (WMA), through Randolph County to Pocahontas, and down to Davidsonville Historic State Park. It crosses into Lawrence County just above the town of Black Rock and continues southwest to the community of Powhatan (Lawrence County). From there, it flows south through the Shirey Bay–Rainey Brake WMA, crosses the southern border of Lawrence County, and forms the east-west border between Independence and Jackson counties. It finally turns southeast and enters the White River at Jacksonport (Jackson County), just north of Newport (Jackson County). Its Arkansas tributaries are the Little Black, Spring, and Strawberry rivers, and with its connection to the White River, it is part of the Mississippi River watershed. The Black has numerous sharp bends, many with colorful names, such as Deadman and Hole in the Wall in the Davidsonville Historic State Park area, along with the Box Factory, Battle Axe, and Dead Mule bends in the lower course of the river.

The river and the WMAs through which it flows provide abundant opportunities for hunters, fishermen, hikers, and wildlife watchers. The main species of fish within it are largemouth bass, crappie, and catfish. Duck, squirrel, deer, rabbit, and turkey hunting are popular along its course, and both the Donaldson and Shirey Bay WMAs offer fine green tree reservoir (woodland duck pond) habitat. There is also a population of furbearers such as beaver, muskrat, mink, and raccoon. Numerous bald and golden eagles winter around Lake Ashbaugh in the Donaldson WMA and can be sighted on or around the lake from November through February.

The Black and its surrounding area have a fascinating history, being first inhabited by pre-Columbian mound builders, then by the Osage and Cherokee. The first European settlers were French. In the days before railroads penetrated the area, flatboats and steamboats were essential to moving people and goods, offering the only “farm to market” transportation. The first steamboat to go up the Black River to Pocahontas was the Laurel in 1829. Davidsonville, Powhatan, Pocahontas, and Jacksonport were important steamboat ports, and by the turn of the century, some forty-three steamboats traveled the river. One was the Idlewild, which is still in service at Louisville, Kentucky, having been rebuilt and renamed the Belle of Louisville. The first train arrived in Pocahontas in 1896, and the railroads gradually replaced river traffic. As late as the 1920s, however, steamboats and snag boats (used to clear river debris) were still in operation.

In earlier days, the Black River had a large population of river mussels. In 1897, Dr. J. H. Myers found a large ball pearl two miles north of Black Rock. This led to a “pearl rush,” and tent camps sprouted along the river. The shells provided mother of pearl, and Myers, with others, established a button factory at Black Rock three years later. According to Myers, this was the first button factory in the South. Area museums, such as the Randolph County Heritage Museum, have button-making tools and shells from which the buttons were cut. Pearl button manufacturing reached its peak in the mid-1940s. Overharvesting and silt in the river caused by farming and dredging have drastically reduced the mussel population. This, along with a decreased demand for mother of pearl due to the invention of plastic buttons and the zipper, virtually ended the pearling and button industries in the mid-twentieth century. However, a small number of “shellers” still gather mussels. They cut the shells into small pellets of mother of pearl for export to Asia, to be used in the cultured pearl industry.

The river has always been prone to flooding, and crossing it proved a challenge in years past. For many years, people traveling for spring terms of court between Corning and Piggott, the two county seats in Clay County, were forced to ride a train to Poplar Bluff, Missouri, and then catch the next morning’s train to the other courthouse. Flooding has been cited as one cause of the demise of Davidsonville and was partly responsible for a light voter turnout in the area when the proposed Arkansas Constitution of 1918 was defeated at the polls. Flooding has continued to this day, with severe flooding occurring in 2008 and 2011.

In early years, the State of Arkansas had no money to build infrastructure, so counties granted licenses to ferry operators and bridge builders, who privately financed the improvements and charged a toll. The first bridge at Powhatan, a flimsy swing bridge, was so operated. In 1938, Governor Carl Bailey, dedicated to removing all toll bridges in Arkansas, purchased rights to an existing ferry site just up the river. The state then used highway signs to divert traffic from the bridge. Because toll revenue dropped, the owner sued, winning at the trial level. While the case was on appeal, the parties settled, and the state paid the owner $68,000 for the bridge, which was later replaced by a safe structure. Today, five highway and four railroad bridges cross the river. The Black River Bridge at Pocahontas, built in 1934, is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. In May 2015, a new bridge spanning the Black River was opened at Black Rock, replacing the 1949 structure, which had been declared deficient by highway officials in 2010.

Many artifacts, photographs, and historical records showing industry and life on the river are on display at Davidsonville Historic State Park, the Powhatan Courthouse, the Jacksonport Courthouse Museum, the Randolph County Heritage Museum, and the Eddie Mae Herron Center.

For additional information:
Dougan, Michael B. “The Doctrine of Creative Destruction: Ferry and Bridge Law in Arkansas.” Arkansas Historical Quarterly 39 (Summer 1980): 136–158.

Lawrence County, Arkansas: 1815–2001. Paducah, KY: Turner Publishing Company, 2001.

McGinnis, A. C. “Pearl Search Began in 1897.” Independence County Chronicle 9 (July 1968): 25–29.

West, Mabel. “Jacksonport, Arkansas: Its Rise and Decline.” Arkansas Historical Quarterly 9 (Winter 1950): 231–258.


Black River

The Black River has played a significant, but shifting, role in the lives of residents of northeast Arkansas. For the early Native Americans who lived in the area, it was an essential food and transportation source. This remained true for European settlers in the days before roads and railroads. The river was also an essential “highway” for the flatboats and river steamers that transported people and goods to and from the area. The river supported the development of local industry as the means for moving timber from the forests to places such as the Sallee Brothers Handle Mill in Pocahontas (Randolph County), while mussel fishing supplied pearls and mother of pearl for the local button-making industry for many years. While the river no longer functions as a means of transportation, it continues to be an important recreational site for hunting, fishing, hiking, bird watching, boating, and more. Batesville (Independence County) lawyer and writer “Fent” Noland stated in 1839, “The country up White River and the Black is destined to be the finest in Arkansas. Nature has done all she could—man will do the rest.”

The Black River’s source is in southeast Missouri. It is formed from three rivers, flows south, and crosses the Arkansas border in Clay County northeast of Corning. From there, it flows generally southwest and passes through the Dave Donaldson Black River Wildlife Management Area (WMA), through Randolph County to Pocahontas, and down to Davidsonville Historic State Park. It crosses into Lawrence County just above the town of Black Rock and continues southwest to the community of Powhatan (Lawrence County). From there, it flows south through the Shirey Bay–Rainey Brake WMA, crosses the southern border of Lawrence County, and forms the east-west border between Independence and Jackson counties. It finally turns southeast and enters the White River at Jacksonport (Jackson County), just north of Newport (Jackson County). Its Arkansas tributaries are the Little Black, Spring, and Strawberry rivers, and with its connection to the White River, it is part of the Mississippi River watershed. The Black has numerous sharp bends, many with colorful names, such as Deadman and Hole in the Wall in the Davidsonville Historic State Park area, along with the Box Factory, Battle Axe, and Dead Mule bends in the lower course of the river.

The river and the WMAs through which it flows provide abundant opportunities for hunters, fishermen, hikers, and wildlife watchers. The main species of fish within it are largemouth bass, crappie, and catfish. Duck, squirrel, deer, rabbit, and turkey hunting are popular along its course, and both the Donaldson and Shirey Bay WMAs offer fine green tree reservoir (woodland duck pond) habitat. There is also a population of furbearers such as beaver, muskrat, mink, and raccoon. Numerous bald and golden eagles winter around Lake Ashbaugh in the Donaldson WMA and can be sighted on or around the lake from November through February.

The Black and its surrounding area have a fascinating history, being first inhabited by pre-Columbian mound builders, then by the Osage and Cherokee. The first European settlers were French. In the days before railroads penetrated the area, flatboats and steamboats were essential to moving people and goods, offering the only “farm to market” transportation. The first steamboat to go up the Black River to Pocahontas was the Laurel in 1829. Davidsonville, Powhatan, Pocahontas, and Jacksonport were important steamboat ports, and by the turn of the century, some forty-three steamboats traveled the river. One was the Idlewild, which is still in service at Louisville, Kentucky, having been rebuilt and renamed the Belle of Louisville. The first train arrived in Pocahontas in 1896, and the railroads gradually replaced river traffic. As late as the 1920s, however, steamboats and snag boats (used to clear river debris) were still in operation.

In earlier days, the Black River had a large population of river mussels. In 1897, Dr. J. H. Myers found a large ball pearl two miles north of Black Rock. This led to a “pearl rush,” and tent camps sprouted along the river. The shells provided mother of pearl, and Myers, with others, established a button factory at Black Rock three years later. According to Myers, this was the first button factory in the South. Area museums, such as the Randolph County Heritage Museum, have button-making tools and shells from which the buttons were cut. Pearl button manufacturing reached its peak in the mid-1940s. Overharvesting and silt in the river caused by farming and dredging have drastically reduced the mussel population. This, along with a decreased demand for mother of pearl due to the invention of plastic buttons and the zipper, virtually ended the pearling and button industries in the mid-twentieth century. However, a small number of “shellers” still gather mussels. They cut the shells into small pellets of mother of pearl for export to Asia, to be used in the cultured pearl industry.

The river has always been prone to flooding, and crossing it proved a challenge in years past. For many years, people traveling for spring terms of court between Corning and Piggott, the two county seats in Clay County, were forced to ride a train to Poplar Bluff, Missouri, and then catch the next morning’s train to the other courthouse. Flooding has been cited as one cause of the demise of Davidsonville and was partly responsible for a light voter turnout in the area when the proposed Arkansas Constitution of 1918 was defeated at the polls. استمرت الفيضانات حتى يومنا هذا ، مع حدوث فيضانات شديدة في عامي 2008 و 2011.

في السنوات الأولى ، لم يكن لدى ولاية أركنساس أموال لبناء البنية التحتية ، لذلك منحت المقاطعات تراخيص لمشغلي العبارات وبناة الجسور ، الذين مولوا التحسينات بشكل خاص وفرضوا رسومًا. تم تشغيل الجسر الأول في بوهاتان ، وهو جسر متأرجح واهٍ. في عام 1938 ، اشترى الحاكم كارل بيلي ، الذي كرس لإزالة جميع جسور الرسوم في أركنساس ، حقوقًا لموقع عبّارة موجود أعلى النهر. ثم استخدمت الولاية إشارات الطرق السريعة لتحويل حركة المرور من الجسر. بسبب انخفاض عائدات الرسوم ، رفع المالك دعوى ، وفاز في المستوى التجريبي. أثناء نظر القضية في الاستئناف ، تم تسوية الطرفين ، ودفعت الدولة للمالك 68000 دولار مقابل الجسر ، والذي تم استبداله لاحقًا بهيكل آمن. اليوم ، هناك خمسة طرق سريعة وأربعة جسور للسكك الحديدية تعبر النهر. تم إدراج جسر النهر الأسود في بوكاهونتاس ، الذي بني عام 1934 ، في السجل الوطني للأماكن التاريخية. في مايو 2015 ، تم افتتاح جسر جديد يمتد على النهر الأسود في بلاك روك ، ليحل محل هيكل عام 1949 ، والذي أعلن مسؤولي الطرق السريعة أنه ناقص في عام 2010.

يتم عرض العديد من القطع الأثرية والصور الفوتوغرافية والسجلات التاريخية التي تُظهر الصناعة والحياة على النهر في منتزه Davidsonville Historic State Park ، ومحكمة Powhatan ، ومتحف Jacksonport Courthouse ، ومتحف Randolph County Heritage Museum ، ومركز Eddie Mae Herron.

للحصول على معلومات إضافية:
دوغان ، مايكل ب. "عقيدة التدمير الإبداعي: ​​قانون العبّارة والجسر في أركنساس." أركنساس التاريخية الفصلية 39 (صيف 1980): 136-158.

مقاطعة لورانس ، أركنساس: 1815-2001. بادوكا ، كنتاكي: شركة تيرنر للنشر ، 2001.

ماكجينيس ، إيه سي "بدأ البحث عن اللؤلؤ في عام 1897." وقائع مقاطعة الاستقلال 9 (يوليو 1968): 25-29.

الغرب ، مابل. "جاكسونبورت ، أركنساس: صعودها وانحدارها." أركنساس التاريخية الفصلية 9 (شتاء 1950): 231-258.


شاهد الفيديو: Bishop Briggs - River (أغسطس 2022).